Measuring Social Media Influence: How Greenpeace took down Nestle
Greenpeace Australia came and did a presentation for Social Media Club Sydney, about the social media component for their global campaign to get Nestle to stop buying unsustainable palm oil from Sinar Mas, a global supplier that was destroying the south east Asian rainforests where orangutans were being threatened. I ran a social media analysis using Alterian SM2 to see how the Kit Kat brand in A
Greenpeace Australia came and did a presentation for Social Media Club Sydney, about the social media component for their global campaign to get Nestlé to stop buying unsustainable palm oil from Sinar Mas, a global supplier that was destroying the south east Asian rainforests where orangutan’s were being threatened. I ran a social media analysis using Alterian SM2 to see how the Kit Kat brand in Australia was affected by Greenpeace campaign. The results show a clear negative impact on Kit Kat's brand sentiment, that's clearly attributable to Greenpeace's localising the campaign.
Here's Dae Levine from Greenpeace Australia presentation at Social Media Club Sydney, where she outlines how Greenpeace took 10 weeks to achieve the kind of result they took 10 years to do using offline channels.
A summary of the key learnings:
- Greenpeace campaign succeeded in taking down the sentiment of KitKat to an extremely low level
- Nestlé gave fuel to the campaign by having the YouTube video banned initially, causing international news services to pick it up, and giving the campaign oxygen (it went viral soon after)
- Nestlé did not pro-actively respond using any social media, instead deleted Facebook comments and posted angry status updates around the use of the Nestlé logo by people within Facebook who wanted to bring awareness to the Greenpeace campaign, which caused even more uproar
- Nestlé failure in social and its lack of social crisis management contributed significantly in Greenpeace success in the social campaigning
- Two Australian specific tactical campaigns for KitKat - Desk Jockey and Take Back Time were launched early June to combat the negative impact of Greenpeace on the brand, but did not get enough traction to offset the overall decrease in brand sentiment until well after the capitulation of Nestlé
So the moral of the story? Old school PR methods of bunkering down will not help you in social media. Third party influence can drag your brand sentiment down, and unless you pro-actively crisis manage, you could be left well behind those who are active and understand social media strategy.
CHAMPION IN FOCUS
Company: George patterson Y&R
Position: Digital Social Media Strategy
I am a social media strategist, with more than 14 years experience in the digital space. My key skills are - Both strategic and tactical. Strategic: Social media strategy, Content strategy, Channel strategy, Social Media business case presentations Read Tiphereth's full bio
Latest Articles by Tiphereth
30 Days: 0 articles, 0 views
All time: 0 articles, 0 views
ABOUT TIPHERETH'S COMPANY
At GPY&R we resist the usual in order to produce work that generates change. Real change. Sustainable change. Measurable and accountable change. The kind of change that shifts the category and repositions competitors. More info & Contact Details
Emerging Tools and Frameworks to Enable Best Practice Workforce Analytics and Planning for HR Professionals in the Public Sector.
Australia's most cutting-edge marketing event. 5 x EXPERT KEYNOTES 18 CMOs AND MARKETING LEADERS IN-DEPTH MASTERCLASSES UNMATCHED NETWORKING AND EDUCATION
Practical skills and effective strategies for leadership excellence in the dynamic and evolving records and information management environment.
Financial Management tools and techniques to strategically manage life-cycle costs and optimise asset management outcomes for the long term.
Develop and refine core skills and key leadership capability to achieve success and excel in APS 5-6 level roles and beyond.
Full-service global publication relations agency with specialists in digital PR as well as in a range of other areas.
Digital Strategy: emphasises the importance of deploying a digital strategy that aligns with and brings positive impact on the organisation as a whole and business objectives, using technology to facilitate this.
Acting on knowledge, communication and learning.
VentureOne Pty Limited is a digital media consultancy, specialising in mobile advertising, content and applications, and online content and advertising.
The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) Limited is the peak trade association for online advertising in Australia.