Measuring Social Media Influence: How Greenpeace took down Nestle
Greenpeace Australia came and did a presentation for Social Media Club Sydney, about the social media component for their global campaign to get Nestle to stop buying unsustainable palm oil from Sinar Mas, a global supplier that was destroying the south east Asian rainforests where orangutans were being threatened. I ran a social media analysis using Alterian SM2 to see how the Kit Kat brand in A
Greenpeace Australia came and did a presentation for Social Media Club Sydney, about the social media component for their global campaign to get Nestlé to stop buying unsustainable palm oil from Sinar Mas, a global supplier that was destroying the south east Asian rainforests where orangutan’s were being threatened. I ran a social media analysis using Alterian SM2 to see how the Kit Kat brand in Australia was affected by Greenpeace campaign. The results show a clear negative impact on Kit Kat's brand sentiment, that's clearly attributable to Greenpeace's localising the campaign.
Here's Dae Levine from Greenpeace Australia presentation at Social Media Club Sydney, where she outlines how Greenpeace took 10 weeks to achieve the kind of result they took 10 years to do using offline channels.
A summary of the key learnings:
- Greenpeace campaign succeeded in taking down the sentiment of KitKat to an extremely low level
- Nestlé gave fuel to the campaign by having the YouTube video banned initially, causing international news services to pick it up, and giving the campaign oxygen (it went viral soon after)
- Nestlé did not pro-actively respond using any social media, instead deleted Facebook comments and posted angry status updates around the use of the Nestlé logo by people within Facebook who wanted to bring awareness to the Greenpeace campaign, which caused even more uproar
- Nestlé failure in social and its lack of social crisis management contributed significantly in Greenpeace success in the social campaigning
- Two Australian specific tactical campaigns for KitKat - Desk Jockey and Take Back Time were launched early June to combat the negative impact of Greenpeace on the brand, but did not get enough traction to offset the overall decrease in brand sentiment until well after the capitulation of Nestlé
So the moral of the story? Old school PR methods of bunkering down will not help you in social media. Third party influence can drag your brand sentiment down, and unless you pro-actively crisis manage, you could be left well behind those who are active and understand social media strategy.
CHAMPION IN FOCUS
Company: George patterson Y&R
Position: Digital Social Media Strategy
I am a social media strategist, with more than 14 years experience in the digital space. My key skills are - Both strategic and tactical. Strategic: Social media strategy, Content strategy, Channel strategy, Social Media business case presentations Read Tiphereth's full bio
Latest Articles by Tiphereth
30 Days: 0 articles, 0 views
All time: 0 articles, 0 views
ABOUT TIPHERETH'S COMPANY
At GPY&R we resist the usual in order to produce work that generates change. Real change. Sustainable change. Measurable and accountable change. The kind of change that shifts the category and repositions competitors. More info & Contact Details
It's back: the annual Google Analytics User conference, presented by Loves Data.
Key Skills, Strategies and Inspirational Stories for Emerging Indigenous Leaders to Achieve Personal and Professional Development Success.
Do you have aggressive growth targets for your business? Often agencies only focus on short term revenue generation, and miss out on building long term revenue from products and retainers or managing debtors. If youÃ¢ï¿½ï¿½re at a strategic development
Providing Strategic Web Solutions. We specialise in website design and website development, web applications and a range of e-marketing services.
NetReturn Consulting is an eBusiness consultancy. We help corporations in Australia with their online strategy, design, delivery and management. We are highly collaborative and have a strong reputation for delivery. Company size; 20 staff
Australia's favourite domain name provider and webhost, Netregistry provides a complete suite of products and services to assist Australian small businesses online.
Boardroom Radio is a simple and effective communication tool that lets companies speak directly with investors (webcasting and podcasting)
Datarati is a marketing automation, analytics and optimisation company, providing actionable data-driven insights which improve campaign performance and ROI.