DIGITAL STARTUP NEWSADD NEWS SHARE

John Lynch

Johns reaction: Interesting POV

I ve seen the best minds of my generation destroyed by marketing, shilling for ad clicks, dragging themselves through the strip-lit corridors of convention centres looking for a venture capitalist. Just as X Factor has convinced hordes of tone deaf kids they can be pop stars, the startup industry has persuaded thousands that they can be the next rockstar entrepreneur. What s worse is that while X Factor clogs up the television schedules for a couple of months, tech conferences have proliferated to such an extent that not a week goes by without another excuse to slope off. Some founders spend more time on panels pontificating about their business plans than actually executing them.
Read on

John Lynch

Johns reaction: sound familiar?

I just reviewed several hundred startup pitches for Capital Factory. Most were on paper and video; 20 were invited to pitch in person.
Read on

Brad Down

Brads reaction: Not surprising, the stringent nature of venture funding as well seems to be channeling innovators away from great ideas and into trends and popping industries. Great minds can spend years wasting their time on the next Groupon while real innovation stalls.

Mark Zuckerberg knows that this time next year Facebook will be a public company, or preparing itself for a blockbuster public offering. In a rare interview this weekend, the 27-year-old founder of the social networking site spoke candidly about culture, commitment and clingers-on at Silicon Valley's hottest ticket. Most interestingly, Zuckerberg said he would have bypassed the Valley if he were that 21-year-old Harvard student starting Facebook tomorrow. "If I were starting now I would do things very differently," he told Y Combinator partner Jessica Livingstone in the interview. "I didn't know anything. In Silicon Valley, you get this feeling that you have to be out here. But it's not the only place to be. If I were starting now, I would have stayed in Boston. [Silicon Valley] is a little short-term focused and that bothers me."
Read on

John Lynch

Johns reaction: Its taken them this long? Groupon was said to have valued its business at US$25bn while reviewing a possible IPO.

Facebook is about to add yet another new product to its revenue-generating machine, widely predicted to be unveiling a Groupon competitor at a press conference in California shortly. The new service is confusingly dubbed 'Facebook Deals' as distinct from 'Facebook Places Deals', which it launched in the UK in January and the US last November. That service let users check in to venues using the Places location tool to take advantage of special offers. though there has been little buzz about the service since launch. The new service, as predicted by Bloomberg last month, is likely to launch in San Francisco, San Diego, Dallas, Austin and Atlanta. Rather than based on check-ins, Deals will be more like a daily deals offer, and Bloomberg said Facebook planned to test the service during March.
Read on

Brad Down

Brads reaction: Congratulations Elias. When I first heard about Startup Bus via Silicon Beach it sounded a bit crazy. Its obvious now crazy is good!

After travelling for two days on a bus halfway across America, you'd expect to see a bunch of weary passengers arrive at their destination desperate to stretch their legs, have a shower, and get a good night's sleep. But that's not what happens if they've been on Startup Bus. Today, six buses from San Francisco, Silicon Valley, New York, Cleveland, Chicago and Miami converge in Austin, Texas. The 150 tech-enthusiasts on the bus have spent the last two days organising themselves into 38 teams in order to create brand new startups from scratch.
Read on

Alex Levashov

Alexes reaction: Group buying industry in Australia becomes more and more interesting. In addition to the legal fight between GroupOn and Scoopon we may see one more battle.

One of group buying web site, Cudo.com.au sent cease and cease and desists letter to Buyii.com.au, a web site that aggregates daily deals from several sources. One of group buying web site, Cudo.com.au sent cease and cease and desists letter to Buyii.com.au, a web site that aggregates daily deals from several sources. Cudo requested Buyii to stop use of it s content including logo, photos, texts. Cudo management consider that such use violates their copywrite and that Buyii compete with Cudo in term of search engine optimization.
Read on

Alex Levashov

Alexes reaction: Article about Group Buying market development in Australia

Interested to know more Full research will be issued soon, register your interest in the form below. I appreciate all feedback, your are welcome to post it directly in this post.
Read on

Brad Down

Brads reaction: If any one wants to invest in any of my companies, get in touch!

Investment of time and money in Australia's tech entrepreneurs is starting to mirror that of Silicon Valley, writes Lia Timson. Australian technology start-ups are on the verge of the big time, with a burgeoning self-help community and angel investors coming their way. A new angel investment fund will be launched by Citrix Systems this year to provide seed capital to 12 start-ups whose technologies are aligned with the company's strategic vision.
Read on

Alex Levashov

Alexes reaction: Looks like another good opportunity for people starting up their business to get some funds and (maybe more important) good mentors.

Created by Australian entrepreneur Niki Scevak, who founded the US real estate website Homethinking, the new StartMate fund counts an impressive list of investors, including former RealEstate.com.au chief executive Simon Baker, Atlassian founders Mike Cannon-Brookes and Scott Farquahr, and Hitwise founder Adrian Giles.
Read on

Mark Freidin

Marks reaction: A fantastic article about brandsExclusive and its business model, and how it is working - Enjoy!

A few months ago I had the opportunity to chat with Daniel Jarosch, Co founder and managing director of brandsExclusive, one of the more prominent invitation only websites that offers branded products at reduced prices for limited periods. Armed with Business degrees from the Heinrich Heine University, D sseldorf (Germany) and the MIT, Boston, Daniel s career includes an eight year stint at Price Waterhouse Coopers, then two years in the Senior Management of eBay Europe. Daniel has also been involved in numerous ecommerce start ups prior to brandsExclusive.
Read on

Brad Down

Brads reaction: Great insights in running a successful startup

'Profitable and proud'is a new series here at Signal vs. Noise. We'll highlight tech companies (and others) that have $1M+ in revenues, didn't take VC, and are profitable. First up: Campaign Monitor, a small software company in Sydney that makes elegant email marketing software for designers and their clients. Co-founder David Greiner tells us about CM's path below.
Read on

Brad Down

Free + Premium = Freemium. It basically means that you offer your product for free to begin with, get users hooked and then charge a small % of your audience a premium fee for premium features down the track. This lowers friction in acquiring customers; you're not limiting growth by adding a payment system or even hinting that people might have to pay at some point. Free means people can check you out, kick your tyres, grow to love you and never leave. Or that's the idea.
Read on

Brad Down

Given IT innovation is trial and error, how much should you invest in allowing for errors? The short answer is a lot. Some IT companies are risking up to 75 per cent of their R&D budget for a winning result. Others have invested years in seemingly losing ideas that eventually transformed into a winning one. Viocorp chief executive Ian Gardiner says investing in failure is the only path to true innovation.
Read on

Brad Down

Australia-based Guvera is slowly making its way onto the radar of digital music and technology blogs, and something tells me we'll hear a lot more about this private, registration-only music site over the next few of months. I heard the name being dropped a couple of times in 2009, but every time I visited the website I couldn't get past the registration stage and thus quickly forgot about it afterwards. Its screaming manifesto also threw me off: declaring in large, shiny capital letters that it is going to save the music and content industry by solving all the problems in the advertising industry is quite a lofty goal, especially without anything to show for it yet.
Read on

Brad Down

Life as an entrepreneur can be an isolating one. So it's important to "hang with your own crowd" so to speak. Even though your family and friends can be supportive, they may not necessarily relate to the unique pressures that you are going through as a business owner. That's why it's important to actively spend time with other entrepreneurs. Not only does this keep you sane but you can also glean useful advice from people who can help you grow your business.
Read on

Brad Down

Warren LeeIn the past few months, two of the highest-profile and most heavily-funded online-video startups -- Veoh and Joost -- have given up trying to compete with Hulu and YouTube and have now drastically switched their business models in hopes of surviving.
Read on

Brad Down

CeBIT Sydney 2009, Australia's biggest tech trade show, is coming up on the 12th-14th May and it's going to be a special one for the Aussie Tech Startup Industry. This year sees the introduction of Webciety- a showcase of leading Aussie web apps. The Webciety concept was first launched at CeBIT in Germany this year and was incredibly successful. As a result, Jackie Taranto and the local Hannover Fairs crew have decided to run a similar showcase here.
Read on

Brad Down

The Australian Government has today announced an $83 million extension to its Innovation Investment Follow-on Fund (IIFF). The Department for Innovation, Industry, Science and Research will manage to finance the fund by reinvesting money it received when firms it supported were floated or sold.
Read on

Brad Down

We're limiting the list to 100 startups only and changing the name to reflect the obvious focus on measuring the web traffic of startups. The first thing to note, as promised in the Feb Startup Index, is the name change. We re limiting the list to 100 startups only and changing the name to reflect the obvious focus on measuring the web traffic of startups.
Read on

John Lynch

Johns reaction: We should all back this cause as its bad for business, especially small start ups

The Federal Government is planning to force all Australian servers to filter internet traffic and block any material the Government deems inappropriate. Under the plan, the Government can add any unwanted site to a secret blacklist.
Read on

TOP SHARERS

Write for Digital Ministry. Demonstrate your expertise, raise your profile, get exposure for your company brand.

BECOME A DIGITAL MINISTRY CHAMPION

LATEST DIRECTORY LISTINGS Boost SEO - add your company for free

Eyelash Extensions SydneyPhotoboothme sydneyDomain Office SuppliesNECALL Voice & DataM & K All Mechanic FairfieldFormat Homes Pty. LtdCar Window Tinting SydneyMechanic RydeSAG IPL